Key Learning Objectives
- Improve your knowledge on the characteristics & chemical properties of methanol and how it can effectively perform as a marine fuel
- Gain insights into how you can overcome the complexities of end-to-end supply chain of methanol production and utilization
- Understand the technical challenges for the use of methanol as a marine fuel and how they can be overcome
- Evaluate how you can design and operate methanol bunkering vessels as well as related supply chain infrastructure
- Find out how port operators can plan, develop and operate methanol terminals and methanol fuel bunkering network for cost efficient and safe distribution, storage, transfer and utilization of methanol
- Evaluate how methanol can be adopted at scale in a sustainable & economically viable manner
- Learn about feasible technologies, engines and systems that can be used for methanol adoption
- Understand the safety aspects and considerations around the use of methanol as a maritime fuel and how you can mitigate the safety risks involved
- Find out in-depth about ship design and bunkering infrastructure through case studies and practical insights
- Improve your knowledge of the economics and business models for the use of methanol as a marine fuel
About the Course
Methanol offers a firm foundation for its use as an alternative marine fuel for the shipping world, thanks to the ability to store it onboard in liquid form at ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure. Additionally, methanol handling and power conversion technologies are mature, and there is a strong level of infrastructure already existing in ports.
Furthermore, methanol’s comparatively low pollutant emissions make it a good fuel choice for owners looking to meet environmental targets. Considered as amongst the most promising alternative marine fuels to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within the maritime industry, which is also in line with the International Maritime Organization (IMO) strategy to reduce CO2 emission by 2050. Methanol will be an important future marine fuel and adoption but there are still economical, availability, technical, infrastructure and safety challenges that need to be overcome in addition to greater knowledge of the characteristics of methanol-fuelled shipping operations that the maritime industry, both shipping companies & port operators must have before it can be adopted at scale as a maritime fuel.
Methanol for Maritime course will deep dive into best practices and solutions around the use of methanol as a marine fuel, technologies, strategies & business models around it, technical & safety aspects of ammonia as a marine fuel, how ports & shipping companies can design, plan and develop their infrastructure & facilities to support the adoption methanol as a marine fuel.
Through case studies, practical insights and actual project experiences, this interactive course will cover all of the above and more to provide you with information that can really help you grasp practical knowledge, technical understanding and economics to successfully adopt & support methanol as a marine fuel.
Who Will Benefit
This course is aimed at all shipping & ports industry professionals, government agencies, marine energy companies, technology & infrastructure players who are stakeholders of the ammonia value chain, with an interest & responsibility and the need to grasp knowledge in developing infrastructure, plans and strategies to adopt methanol as a maritime fuel.
MCF Training Grant is available for eligible course attendees. Please refer to https://www.mpa.gov.sg/maritime-singapore/what-maritime-singapore-offers/developing-manpower/training@maritimesingapore for information on the MCF Training Grant.
Live Online Training
Learn Anywhere, Learn Anytime
Catering to meet all your learning needs:
- Get high quality practical training from our expert instructors
- From Face To Face, Online and Blended Learning, get a superior solution for your learning needs
- Learn live online in an interactive environment
- Invest in yourself. Invest in your team.
Register today for our Live Online Training courses and fi nd out how they can help you transform the way you work. Contact one of our training consultants on email@example.com to find out more.
OVERVIEW OF THE METHANOL MARKET FOR THE MARITIME INDUSTRY, METHANOL PROPERTIES & APPLICATIONS
- Identifying drivers of demand for methanol as a marine fuel and the development of port infrastructure catering to methanol
- Evaluating recent trends and global case studies for methanol uptake
- Evaluating the role of methanol in energy transition strategies and policies
- Classification & Evaluating Different Types of Methanol Cells
- Properties of Methanol as a Marine Fuel
- Methanol engines and generalities about the combustion, engine ancillaries and the liquid fuel supply systems
UNDERSTANDING METHANOL PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY & PROCESSES
- Methanol Technologies and Applications
- How is Methanol produced?
- Methanol production from fluctuating renewable sources
- Electricity availability and costs
- Water electrolysis
- Production pathways
- Analysis of the various production sources
- Production & Cost of Production of methanol,
- Methanol Extraction and Purification
- Chemical Processes
- Mapping existing methanol production
- Scaling up methanol production for shipping
- Understanding the Global supply chain for methanol production
- Chemical Processes
- Refinery Operations
- Common challenges for methanol production – how to overcome them and their implications for the maritime industry
VESSEL DESIGN & CONFIGURATIONS FOR METHANOL
- What needs to change for the uptake of methanol?
- Naval Architecture
- Design, Layout, Processing & Technological Considerations
- Ensuring your vessel deal with the challenges of methanol
- Managing safety concerns for methanol as a marine fuel
- Driving efficiency and fuel cost reduction through your vessel design & construction
- Design optimization to reduce fuel storage costs
- Strengthening the business case and reducing supply risk exposure through vessel design and planning
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.