Operations, Compliance and Claims
About the Course
Timely and practical, this masterclass extrapolates important considerations in retrofitting, maintaining compliant marine scrubbers’ operations and meeting sulphur regulations. Throughout 4 modules, participants will be provided latest global fuel outlook and scrubberrelated claim trends, as well as technical commissioning and on-board operations. Topics will include how to effectively mitigate scrubberrelated incidents; better manage retrofit at yards; washwater discharge monitoring and reporting. Legal considerations such as charterparties’ clauses and scrubbers’ downtime liability will also be included.
Key Learning Outcomes & Case Studies Include
- Updates on major scrubber-related claims, disputes and key operational, legal implications
- Understand key technical problems with scrubbers – from system selection, installation, commissioning to daily operations
- Best practices for on-board operations, scrubbers’ maintenance and downtime management
- Wash water management, monitoring and compliance reporting
- Preventive measures for claim mitigation and managing legal risks
- Case studies and exercises include:
- Supplier selection
- System design and engineering
- Retrofit & commissioning management
- Problems arising during installation and on-board operations
Who Should Attend
This workshop will benefit anyone involved in exhaust gas cleaning systems and operations including:
- Ship Owners, Operators, and Managers
- Shipyards and Ship Designers
- Classification Societies
- Scrubber and Exhaust Gas System Technology Providers
- Testing and Analysis Companies and Marine Surveyors
- Consulting Organisations
Live Online Learning
Stay Home. Skill Up!
The current Covid-19 pandemic has put strains on various areas of business, especially when it comes to deriving commercial value from new initiatives. During this phase of self-isolation and working from home, we can help you meet your professional development needs and you can still take your professional development plans to the next level.
To support your learning goals we have converted our face-to-face trainings to LIVE Online Sessions. This way you can continue to attend live and interactive training sessions within the virtual classroom space where you can see and speak, with your Subject Matter Expert and other participants.
Benefits of Live Online Learning
Aimed at offering you immediate, high-quality practical information whilst minimising time and expenditure associated with travelling, our digital training platform enables you to interact in real time with course directors and remotely network with your fellow participants.
- Classroom Experience: Progress with fellow participants as you would in an on-site class
- Guaranteed cost-effectiveness: Travel budget saving, plus 20% price advantage for online participation
- Controlled environment with speakers managing the Q&A and discussions and tools for enhanced interactions
- Module-based approach to effectively manage your time and revisions
- Earn your Digital Certification and broadcast your achievements to your peers
- Onboarding: Available for all attendees
- Proven and secure training platform
Upon completion of this training course, participants will earn a digital badge.
Earners of Marine Scrubbers Certificates have acquired a practical range of understanding in the technicality, legality, technology, project management and operations of EGGs onboard ocean-going vessels. They are proficient with the scrubbers’ value chain, latest technologies and basic working principles of various system types. They are skilled in managing vessel’s and fleet’s scrubber projects, from CAPEX, OPEX, trade routes considerations to contract management, best conversion/installation practices and developing standard on-board operational process.
marine scrubbers, exhaust gas cleaning systems, project management, contract management, working principle, installation, conversion, fitting, drydocking, charterparty, capex, opex, onboard operations, maintenance, calibration, scruuber legislations, crew training, wash water management
Attend and participate in the 2 full days of training course duration, led by the designated training expert
Sulphur Compliance Update
- Fuel compliance trends globally
- Global scrubber installation picture
- Port state control findings on scrubber compliance
Post-2020 Major Scrubbers-related Claims and Considerations
- Fuel-related machinery damage
- Loss of hire
- Scrubber malfunction
- Engine damage and fire during installation/retrofit
- Corrosion, seawater ingress
- Thermal shock
Legal Issues Relating to Marine Scrubbers
- Late delivery
- Non-compliance and off-hires
- Scrubber breakdown
- Scrubber clauses in time charterparties
Managing Scrubber Downtime and Compliance Reporting
- Data acquisition for system optimisation
- What to do when sensors fail?
- Wash water discharge and monitoring
- Report on-going compliance according to MEPC-259(68) procedures
- Contingency Planning in Ship
- Implementation Plan
- Breakdown at remote regions
- Continuous emissions monitoring
- Risk management
Scrubbers Working Principles and Technology Options
- Scrubber working principles
- Packed-bed scrubbers, sprayer-based scrubbers, dry scrubbers
- Relationship between scrubber dimensions, water flow and pressure drop
- Compatible ship components and equipment (engine, boilers, SCR), etc)
- Treatment plant
- Technology options
- Open loop, closed-loop, hybrid systems, alternative ideas such as dry scrubbers
- Review of different patents, should we expect some revolutionary new technologies?
- Choosing the right scrubber system in terms of space onboard, power requirements, trading pattern, exhaust backpressure, installation time, etc).
Group Exercise: Calculate CAPEX, OPEX and ROI
- Select an engine configuration and operating profile (bring your own, if you are shipowner)
- Enter the information in a pre-defined excel sheet (“ECA_design.xls”)
- Optimise the system in terms of ROI.
- Investigate the impact of changes in fuel prices
- Investigate the impact of further restrictions in the discharge of open loop water
- Investigate the impact of sludge prices.
- Onboard operation, maintenance and calibration of different systems
- Mechanical systems
- Electrical systems
Best Practice: Design & Engineering of Scrubber Systems
- Thermal tension
- Choice of scrubber materials, structural strength, hull integrity – case studies
- Resistance toward heat and corrosion of different steel types
- Price and availability of different materials and types – key considerations
- Support, fixation and connection of scrubber to minimise risks of cracks and issues with vibrations
- Considerations when space is limited
Managing Retrofit Works at Yard
- Overall project management (timeline, cost)
- Factory and harbour acceptance tests (FAT vs HAT)
- Why are installations delayed? Group discussion
- Managing the commissioning
- Scrubbers testing (max fuel Sulphur, low alkalinity waters
Daily Operation and Maintenance of Scrubber Systems
- Gas analyser and water analyser calibration
- Waste management for closed loop and hybrid systems: What is it and is it dangerous, how much is typically generated, treatment methods postdischarge
- Recent stories: fire during installation, corrosion, flooding – what is up and down?
- Experiences from “normal” installations.
- Preventive measures
Scrubbers’ Washwater Discharge, Monitoring and Treatment
- Wash water discharge and monitoring criteria
- Review of discharge across port states
- (Banning of open-loop discharge)
- Review the different studies world-wide
Marine Scrubbers’ Market Outlook
- Scrubbers’ supply chain
- Scrubbers’ order outlooks
- Technology trends
- Exhaust gas recirculation system trends
- Legislation and class approval
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.