Operations, Compliance and Claims
Key Learning Outcomes & Case Studies Include
- Updates on major scrubber-related claims, disputes and key operational, legal implications
- Understand key technical problems with scrubbers – from system selection, installation, commissioning to daily operations
- Best practices for on-board operations, scrubbers’ maintenance and downtime management
- Wash water management, monitoring and compliance reporting
- Preventive measures for claim mitigation and managing legal risks
- Case studies and exercises include:
- Supplier selection
- System design and engineering
- Retrofit & commissioning management
- Problems arising during installation and on-board operations
Who Should Attend
This workshop will benefit anyone involved in exhaust gas cleaning systems and operations including:
- Ship Owners, Operators, and Managers
- Shipyards and Ship Designers
- Classification Societies
- Scrubber and Exhaust Gas System Technology Providers
- Testing and Analysis Companies and Marine Surveyors
- Consulting Organisations
Dr. Jens Peter Hansen
Owner, ECA Engineering Aps.
Jens Peter Hansen has more than 20 years of R&D and Project Management experience with technologies for reducing emissions including SOx, NOx and Particular Matter (soot).
Jens gained his subject matter expertise through several organisations including Haldor Topsøe, FLSmidth & Co. A/S and most recently Alfa Laval. At Alfa Laval, Jens initiated Alfa Laval’s first R&D activities with exhaust gas scrubbers involving pilot scale tests in cooperation with MAN Diesel and which led to successful installation of world’s largest scrubber systems onboard a ship (20 MW MAN engine) in 2010.
Jens started his professional career with making some of the first DeNOx catalysts for NOx removal at Haldor Topsøe A/S while he was still studying chemistry at the Technical University of Denmark. After finishing his master, he carried out a PhD thesis about sulphur emissions and how these could be reduced by aid of both dry and wet absorption methods. In 2008, he joined Aalborg Industries A/S as project manager to improve their Waste Heat Recovery systems installed on large container ships and to investigate the possibilities for installing scrubbers’ onboard ships. It quickly became the scrubbers which took up all the time as the first pilot tests were conducted already in the autumn of 2008 together with MAN Energy Solutions at their test center in DK. As these tests went very successful, they were followed in 2009 by a full-scale installation onboard DFDS Ro-Ro vessel Ficaria Seaways which became the world’s largest and first hybrid scrubber system. In 2010 Alfa Laval acquired Aalborg Industries A/S and Jens continued to work as R&D manager for their Exhaust Gas Cleaning activities.
In light of the IMO 2020 global sulphur cap decision, Jens founded ECA Engineering Aps (Denmark) in 2017 to help ship owners in navigating between all the different scrubber options and also to manage complete scrubber projects involving manufactures, pipe suppliers, and yards. Jens rely on his huge network of sub-suppliers, institutions, engine builders, marine engineers and yards as well as new co-operations continuously are formed as the scrubber market rapidly expands. Major principles have been Danish Ship Owners like Torm A/S and Ultra Ship A/S. Today he is one of few independent experts in the world on Exhaust Gas Scrubbing technology for shipboard applications.
Jens also still has a very good relationship with Alfa Laval, MAN Energy and DFDS with whom it all started. The scrubber on Ficaria Seaways is still running and many more are installed so they have a solid experience with the technology to build upon.
Upon completion of this training course, participants will earn a digital badge.
Earners of Marine Scrubbers Certificates have acquired a practical range of understanding in the technicality, legality, technology, project management and operations of EGGs onboard ocean-going vessels. They are proficient with the scrubbers’ value chain, latest technologies and basic working principles of various system types. They are skilled in managing vessel’s and fleet’s scrubber projects, from CAPEX, OPEX, trade routes considerations to contract management, best conversion/installation practices and developing standard on-board operational process.
marine scrubbers, exhaust gas cleaning systems, project management, contract management, working principle, installation, conversion, fitting, drydocking, charterparty, capex, opex, onboard operations, maintenance, calibration, scruuber legislations, crew training, wash water management
Attend and participate in the 2 full days of training course duration, led by the designated training expert
Sulphur Compliance Update
- Fuel compliance trends globally
- Global scrubber installation picture
- Port state control findings on scrubber compliance
Post-2020 Major Scrubbers-related Claims and Considerations
- Fuel-related machinery damage
- Loss of hire
- Scrubber malfunction
- Engine damage and fire during installation/retrofit
- Corrosion, seawater ingress
- Thermal shock
Legal Issues Relating to Marine Scrubbers
- Late delivery
- Non-compliance and off-hires
- Scrubber breakdown
- Scrubber clauses in time charterparties
Managing Scrubber Downtime and Compliance Reporting
- Data acquisition for system optimisation
- What to do when sensors fail?
- Wash water discharge and monitoring
- Report on-going compliance according to MEPC-259(68) procedures
- Contingency Planning in Ship
- Implementation Plan
- Breakdown at remote regions
- Continuous emissions monitoring
- Risk management
Scrubbers Working Principles and Technology Options
- Scrubber working principles
- Packed-bed scrubbers, sprayer-based scrubbers, dry scrubbers
- Relationship between scrubber dimensions, water flow and pressure drop
- Compatible ship components and equipment (engine, boilers, SCR), etc)
- Treatment plant
- Technology options
- Open loop, closed-loop, hybrid systems, alternative ideas such as dry scrubbers
- Review of different patents, should we expect some revolutionary new technologies?
- Choosing the right scrubber system in terms of space onboard, power requirements, trading pattern, exhaust backpressure, installation time, etc).
Group Exercise: Calculate CAPEX, OPEX and ROI
- Select an engine configuration and operating profile (bring your own, if you are shipowner)
- Enter the information in a pre-defined excel sheet (“ECA_design.xls”)
- Optimise the system in terms of ROI.
- Investigate the impact of changes in fuel prices
- Investigate the impact of further restrictions in the discharge of open loop water
- Investigate the impact of sludge prices.
- Onboard operation, maintenance and calibration of different systems
- Mechanical systems
- Electrical systems
Best Practice: Design & Engineering of Scrubber Systems
- Thermal tension
- Choice of scrubber materials, structural strength, hull integrity – case studies
- Resistance toward heat and corrosion of different steel types
- Price and availability of different materials and types – key considerations
- Support, fixation and connection of scrubber to minimise risks of cracks and issues with vibrations
- Considerations when space is limited
Managing Retrofit Works at Yard
- Overall project management (timeline, cost)
- Factory and harbour acceptance tests (FAT vs HAT)
- Why are installations delayed? Group discussion
- Managing the commissioning
- Scrubbers testing (max fuel Sulphur, low alkalinity waters
Daily Operation and Maintenance of Scrubber Systems
- Gas analyser and water analyser calibration
- Waste management for closed loop and hybrid systems: What is it and is it dangerous, how much is typically generated, treatment methods postdischarge
- Recent stories: fire during installation, corrosion, flooding – what is up and down?
- Experiences from “normal” installations.
- Preventive measures
Scrubbers’ Washwater Discharge, Monitoring and Treatment
- Wash water discharge and monitoring criteria
- Review of discharge across port states
- (Banning of open-loop discharge)
- Review the different studies world-wide
Marine Scrubbers’ Market Outlook
- Scrubbers’ supply chain
- Scrubbers’ order outlooks
- Technology trends
- Exhaust gas recirculation system trends
- Legislation and class approval
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.