Understand the fundamentals of performance management and successfully develop, deploy, and manage meaningful KPls for strategic, operational, or program management.
Key Learning Objectives
For the organisation:
- Recognise performance management as a key strategic and competitive differentiator
- Understand the theory and application of corporate performance management through Balanced Scorecards (BSCs) and other frameworks for developing KPls
- Create buy-in and a culture of continuous performance improvement
- Drive performance-informed budgeting and accountability
- Develop best practice KPls, performance targets, and management dashboards
- Improve the performance of departments, teams, programs, projects, risks, and individuals
- Program includes multiple performance measurement frameworks and tools, including the logic model, cause-effect, process flow, and many more!
For the learner:
- Learn a simple, “do-it-yourself” methodology to develop meaningful performance measures
- Accelerate your career in KPI development by earning certification and CEU credits
- Gain understanding based on a wholly integrated performance measurement and management framework
- Provide practical, step-by-step exercises, instruction, and application guidance by expert trainers
- Master through hands-on workshops taught by the most senior Institute facilitating consultants who have decades of practical experience “in the trenches”
About The Course
KPI and performance measurement development is a discipline that involves articulating what an organization is trying to accomplish and then identifying the most meaningful and useful indicators of success. Simply selecting standard measures from a long list of possible measures is not effective. Performance measures, or KPls, are a key part of any strategic management system, as they are critical to assessing the effectiveness of strategy implementation. KPls also help with the analysis of the gap between actual and targeted performance, and with the measurement of organizational effectiveness and operational efficiency.
Operational measures, project measures, risk measures, and employee measures provide an early-warning system throughout an organization to help improve performance. Meaningful and strong KPls provide insight into whether strategies are working, and whether programs, projects, and services are on schedule, on budget, and delivered effectively.
KPls focus employees’ attention on what matters most for success and allow for measurement of accomplishments. This program is designed for all sectors – business and industry, government, and nonprofit-and provides participants with practical tools to develop meaningful strategic and operational performance measures and then develop their skills through a series of practical application exercises.
Delegates are taught how to use tools like the Logic Model, Cause-Effect Analysis, and Process Flow Analysis, used by organizations around the world, to understand and articulate desired results, determine what to measure, set targets and thresholds, develop composite measures using lower level performance measures, measure outcomes, outputs, processes, and inputs, and produce visually appealing reports and dashboards that better inform decision making throughout an organization.
This course is designed to help delegates understand the fundamentals of performance management, then successfully develop, deploy, and manage meaningful KPls for strategic,operational, or program management.
Why Should Attend
The KPIP certification course is recommended for:
- Teams or individuals with performance measurement/management responsibility
- Senior managers or leaders who are establishing, leading, and managing performance management and/or measurement programs and systems
- Managers, planners and analysts who are part of a strategic planning and management team and are seeking the best practical ideas for improving organizational performance
- Employees who have been tasked to plan, develop, or improve dashboards, KPI scorecards, business processes, program and project management portfolio management or other measurement systems
- Managers, planners, or analysts who are involved with defining performance measures or complying with regulatory and other reporting requirements
- Budget analysts who need performance information to formulate budgets and evaluate programs
Requirements and Certificates
- Attendance – Delegates must attend all sessions of the course. Delegates who miss more than two hours of the course sessions will not be eligible to sit the exam
- Certificate of Completion – Delegates will receive an Informa Certificate of Completion after successful completion of the course
- Certificate from The Balanced Scorecard Institute – Delegates will receive a globally recognised certificate from The Balanced Scorecard Institute in association with The George Washington University upon successfully passing the certification
- Laptops – Delegates are required to bring their laptop all throughout the session
Through case studies and a series of interactive small-group workshops,participants will apply the KPI development and management concepts to meet the challenges facing a typical organization. Exercises performed throughout this program include:
- Identify KPI challenges
- Utilize diagnostic tools, such as the Strategic Maturity Model, Logic Model, and Process Flow
- Develop Strategic Themes and Results
- Develop Strategic Objectives
- Understand how well articulated performance results lead to more meaningful measures
- Utilize a Measure Design and Measure Definition templates to develop meaningful measures
- Develop a Performance Measures dashboard
- Identify best practices in building and sustaining a performance culture
- Develop Performance Measures for each of the measurement families: strategic, operational, project measures, risk and employee
- Prepare and deliver your own KPI Application Project
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Get Certified?
There has never been a better time to accelerate your career in KPI development and/or balanced scorecard facilitation, and earning a certification is a great way to do just that. Even if you have been working with KPIs and metrics for 15 years, certifications are an excellent way to market yourself and stand out from the crowd. Earning certifications shows a potential employer (and your current one) that you are willing to go the extra mile.
What is the Certification Validity?
KPIP Certifications expire on December 31, three years from the year a person was originally certified (e.g., if you were certified in 2017, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2020)
- Administered online
- 40 Questions (multiple choice or true/ false pulled randomly from a larger pool of questions)
- 75-minute time limit to complete the exam
- Score of 75% is needed to pass
- Results are posted immediately
- Certifications will be mailed within 4-6 weeks of processing
Continuing Education Units
All BSI Certification Program participants qualify for Continuing Education Units. Attendees completing the entire 5-day course will qualify for 4CEUs through our alliance with George Washington University
Introduction to KPIs and KPI Development
Learning Objectives: The focus of Day One is on understanding basic KPI terminology and the purpose of measurement, as well as the strategic context needed to develop and align meaningful KPls.
- Introduction to Application Exercises, KPI Case Studies, Tools, Templates, and Supplemental Resources
- Introduction to KPIs and Strategic Management
- Different Types of KPIs
- Understanding Strategic Context and Goal Setting
- Developing and Mapping Strategic Objectives
- Creating the Right Performance Measurement Culture to Build Buy-in
Figure 1. Interconnectivity relationships among different types of performance measures
Performance Measure Development Process
Learning Objectives: On Days Two and Three, delegates learn and apply advanced concepts of performance measurement. Delegates focus on making strategy measurable and easier to communicate and cascade. They select and design KPls in a consistent way, using the right data and with the right ownership. With this knowledge, the delegates design insightful and actionable reports and dashboards that focus discussion on improvement and are able to clearly see the real signals from measures about whether performance is improving or not.
- The Process of Developing Performance Measures
- Step 1: Describe the Intended Result(s)
- Step 2: Understand Alternative Measures
– Using the Logic Model to Develop Alternative Measures
– Using the Process Flow Analysis to Develop Alternative Measures
Performance Measure Development Process, continued
- Step 2: Understand Alternative Measures, cont.
– Using the Cause-Effect Analysis to Develop Alternative Measures
- Step 3: Select the Right Measurement(s) for Each Objective
- Step 4: Define Composite Indices as Needed
- Step 5: Set Targets & Thresholds
- Step 6: Define and Document Selected Performance Measures
Application – Different Types of Measures
Learning Objectives: On both Days Four & Five, delegates learn an early-warning system that can be used throughout an organization to help improve performance. Throughout the course, delegates will be applying the framework and learnings to an individualized KPI project that reflects improvements in their organization. At the conclusion of program each participant will share their application project for peer and faculty feedback
- Course Application Project Introduction and KPI Case Studies
- Application: Develop Measures for Your Own Organization
– Developing Measures for Strategy Execution
– Developing Measures for Operations
– Developing Measures for Projects
– Developing Measures for Employee Performance
– Measuring and managing risk: developing KRIs (Key Risk Indicators)
KPI Advanced Topics And Delegate Presentations
- Creating KPI Alignment by Cascading Objectives
- Managing Strategically with Performance Information
- KPI Development Application Project for Delegate Organizations
- Final Participant Application Project Presentation and Discussion
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.