Key Learning Objectives
- History and overview of pipelines
- Review of design, engineering and technical elements of pipelines
- Pipeline economics including NPV, rates of return, cash flow analysis
- Australian pipeline regulation – key issues and developments
- Aligning engineering to the economics of a project including demand, supply, load, location, pressures and compression
- Project risk assessment and management
- Unit costs and tariff design
- Gas transportation contracting and risk sharing
About the Course
Pipelines are the backbone of the natural gas industry. They are the main link between supply sources and demand centres, and their economics are a key determinant of the viability of a gas project development.
This course will provide an understanding and insight into key economic and financial factors such as costs, rates of return and cash flow analysis.
An understanding of the above factors is critical to the business success of industry stakeholders, including gas producers, service providers, traditional owners, regulators and customers.
A specific objective of the course is to provide attendees with skills necessary to understand pipeline sizing, economic and commercial decisions.
The impact of customer requirements on pipeline sizing and on tariff design will be reviewed, along with practical aspects of gas transportation contracting.
Who Will Benefit
- Engineers, planners and project managers involved in the oil and gas industries
- Gas utility personnel involved in the planning and operation of pipeline systems
- Government regulatory staff
- Managers and staff in public sector ministries, departments and agencies responsible for energy sector planning
“Over the years I have attended many training courses provided by [Informa Corporate Learning]. I have always found the course content to be relevant and accurate and the course facilitators to be leaders in their field.”
Analyst, Eni Australia Ltd.
Introduction to gas pipelines
- The history of the Australian gas pipeline industry
- Ownership structures
- Regulatory arrangements
- Construction methods
- Australian gas supply and demand
- Gas pipeline development prospects
An understanding of technical fundamentals of high pressure gas pipeline design is a necessary precursor to review of pipeline sizing, optimisation and tariff setting:
- The determinants of pipeline capacity
- Operating pressure considerations
- The role of compression and/or looping
- The impact of supplier and customer requirements
Pipeline configuration and sizing alternatives will be addressed as well as the impact of technical regulatory requirements.
Examining pipeline costs
Current pipeline capital and O&M cost factors will be reviewed:
- Recent capital cost experiences
- Linepipe, construction and other cost factors
- Useful operating cost estimates
Pipeline development and contracting risks
- Identifying risk
- Assessing risk
- Production, transportation and market risks
- Development risks and alliance contracting
- Risk mitigation
Unit cost of gas transport
This session will focus on the actual cost of transporting gas through a pipeline, specifically how to determine costs managing all of the risks and influencing factors.
Designing tariffs – alternative tariff structures will be reviewed and compared
- Capex, opex and indexation
- Capacity versus throughput
- Risk management
- Market development impacts
- Other pipeline related services
Gas transportation contracting
- Contract structure overview
- Capacity commitments (DCQ, MDQ, MHQ, etc.)
- Reliability, interruptibility and priorities
- Tariffs and indexation
- Gas balancing obligations
- Other services
- Force majeure
- Contract renegotiation
- Risk sharing
The Australian pipeline regulatory framework
- Regulated and unregulated pipelines and the impact of regulation
- Capital base for tariff setting purposes
- Market related impacts, including pipeline expansion
- Allowable rates of return
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.