Key Learning Outcomes
- Introduction to Laytime
- Introduction to Demurrage and Despatch
- Shipowners’ and charterers’ duties
- When does the clock start to tick?
- Safe ports and berths and anchorages
- Arrived ship, Notices of Readiness
- Statements of Facts
- Notes of Protest
- Charter party clauses
- Time bars
Who Should Attend
Participants will be expected to have little or no prior knowledge of Laytime
- Ship owners and managers
- Charterers including Importers, Exporters and Traders
- Port and ship agents
- P&I personnel
- Logistics and shipping professionals
- Legal advisers, solicitors and barristers
- Government bodies and representatives
What Past Delegates Liked About This Course
“The speaker has the shipping/commercial background, the topic is relevant to my daily work”
~ Yang Jiu Qing, GM, IMC Shipping Co Pte Ltd
“There is a lot of discussion among the participants. The trainer displays a lot of knowledge and is generous to share”
~ Jaslyn Ho, Planner, Sumitomo Chemical Asia Pte Ltd
Upon completion of this training course, participants will earn a digital badge.
Earners of Dry Cargo Laytime & Demurrage Certificate have acquired advanced-level understanding of managing laytime calculations and profitable approaches in handling demurrage claims within the dry bulk shipping business. Through global case studies shipping industry, they are capable of anticipating and minimising claims risks associated with dry cargoes and how to profitably apply performance and various other charterparty clauses.
charter party, drafting, clauses, dry cargo laytime, demurrage, claims handling, payment of hire, off-hire clauses, deviation, performance, employment orders, paramount clauses, negotiations, voyage charterparty, time charterparty
Attend and participate in the 2 full days of training course duration, led by the designated training expert
Live Online Learning
Stay Home. Skill Up!
The current Covid-19 pandemic has put strains on various areas of business, especially when it comes to deriving commercial value from new initiatives. During this phase of self-isolation and working from home, we can help you meet your professional development needs and you can still take your professional development plans to the next level.
To support your learning goals we have converted our face-to-face trainings to LIVE Online Sessions. This way you can continue to attend live and interactive training sessions within the virtual classroom space where you can see and speak, with your Subject Matter Expert and other participants.
Benefits of Live Online Learning
Aimed at offering you immediate, high-quality practical information whilst minimising time and expenditure associated with travelling, our digital training platform enables you to interact in real time with course directors and remotely network with your fellow participants.
- Classroom Experience: Progress with fellow participants as you would in an on-site class
- Guaranteed cost-effectiveness: Travel budget saving, plus 20% price advantage for online participation
- Controlled environment with speakers managing the Q&A and discussions and tools for enhanced interactions
- Module-based approach to effectively manage your time and revisions
- Earn your Digital Certification and broadcast your achievements to your peers
- Onboarding: Available for all attendees
- Proven and secure training platform
REVIEW OF LAYTIME AND DEMURRAGE
- Allocation of risk for delay between owners and charterers
- Definition of laytime, demurrage and despatch
- Types of Laytime
- Fixed time
- Tons per hour/per hatch
- Custom of port
START OF LAYTIME
- Arrived ship
- When does it start?
- What suspends time?
- When does time stop running?
- Notice of Readiness (NOR)
START AND STOPPAGE OF DEMURRAGE
- Start of demurrage
- Suspension of demurrage
CALCULATION OF DRY CARGO LAYTIME
- Types of dry cargo laytime – reversible, averageable, non-reversible
- Working days and running hours
- Laydays, early loading clauses, virtual NOR and late arrivals
- Explanation of terms
- » WWD / WDWP
- » WIBON / WIPON / WIFPON / WECCON
- » SHINC / FHINC / SHEX / FHEX
- Breakdown of different types of machinery
- Laytime per working / workable hatches
- Damages for detention
- Notice periods, turn times
- Interruptions and exceptions
- Pro rated time for part cargoes
- Shifting and multi berth discharges
- Other issues affecting the calculation of laytime
LAYTIME AND DEMURRAGE CLAUSES
- Different charterparties and NOR clauses
- Weather clauses
- Practical considerations
- » Letters of protest
- » Dry cargoes focused clauses
DEMURRAGE CLAIMS MANAGEMENT
- Main stages
- Key clauses in contracts which can affect claims
- Securing a settlement
- Enforcement options
A recent laytime and demurrage case will be presented and analysed to give participants a better appreciation of common problems and practical issues arising with Dry cargoes. Specific clauses will be reviewed.
Participants are encouraged to provide alternative solutions to the cases presented and are requested, and requested to send their claim stories latest 1 week prior to this Workshop for general practical and legal discussions (anonymous if preferred).
THE COMMERCIAL CONTRACT TERMS AND CHARTERPARTY CLAUSES
- Relationship between the two – with examples
- Traders’ General Terms and Conditions
PROFITABLE USE OF LAYTIME AND DEMURRAGE IN NON-TRADITIONAL WAYS
- Delaying loading
- During the course of the voyage
- Delaying discharge
HANDLING LAYTIME & DEMURRAGE CLAIMS AND DISPUTES
- Time bars
- Which documents are essential
- Dispute resolution methods – and reasons for choice of arbitration or mediation or litigation
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.