Responding to new strategic and operational shifts post COVID
About The Course
Across the board, experts are agreeing on the fact that COVID will speed up digitalisation in shipping. Be it remote services, tech enabled operations or new workflows, the digitalisation touch points will increase.
This masterclass offers hands-on approaches to productivity optimisation, effectiveness of implementation and most importantly how technology can maximise bottom line. These include digital transformation in vessel predictive maintenance, navigation and safety; integration between ships and seaport operations and across logistics supply chain; remote cargo management and many more.
You will also acquire practical skills required in transformation projects, including financials & metrics, building business case, stakeholder managements and project mapping.
Key Learning Outcomes & Case Studies Include
- Up-to-date insights into digitalisation ecosystem and investments within Shipping industry
- New tech touch points post COVID-19
- Review use cases, business models, and roadmaps for digital strategy
- Practical applications of big data, cloud, blockchain, predictive capabilities, standardisations and impacts to shipping
- Digitalisation across cargo supply chain: remote monitoring, tracking and integrated logistics
- Applying digital transformation in maintenance, dry-docking, repair and fleet management
- Digital applications in navigation and safety
- How to optimise integration between ship and seaport operations
- Improve energy efficiency, compliance and smart emission management
- Exercise with financial metrics and assess ROIs of digital projects
- Assess cyber threats and build enhanced security
Dr. Jasper Boessenkool
Independent Advisor – Maritime Technology, Innovation, Digitalisation Strategies
Jasper has 20+ years of hands on experience on innovation and digitisation for both shipping and the port sectors.
- Led Maersk Maritime Technology’s Innovation & Future Technology projects on Big Data Analytics, Predictive Maintenance, Fuel efficiency and fleet optimisation. Identified USD 100-150 million annual cost saving and strategic implementation roadmap.
- Drove Maersk’s participation to establish joint industry collaboration of USD 7.5 million, 15 innovation projects and 40 strategic suppliers and universities
- Valuated around 50 potential (technology) acquisition targets, resulting in 9 concrete acquisition proposals with typical acquisition price between USD 2 – 15 million.
- Involved in various start-ups in digitisation and process optimisation across maritime technology sectors
- Set up and drove strategic engagement at Executive level for technology roadmap and future terminal and shipping technology
- Redesigned and implemented LEAN innovation process to focus and align innovation activities
- Developed expansion strategy of the Port of Busan (South Korea), based on a benchmark of value-added logistics activities of the ports of Rotterdam, Singapore and Shanghai.
- Initiated a series of ‘Innovation Action Labs’ to workout innovative business ideas in 2 days, leading to concrete, new ideas that were implemented within the existing organisation.
Live Online Learning
Stay Home. Skill Up!
The current Covid-19 pandemic has put strains on various areas of business, especially when it comes to deriving commercial value from new initiatives. During this phase of self-isolation and working from home, we can help you meet your professional development needs and you can still take your professional development plans to the next level.
To support your learning goals we have converted our face-to-face trainings to LIVE Online Sessions. This way you can continue to attend live and interactive training sessions within the virtual classroom space where you can see and speak, with your Subject Matter Expert and other participants.
Benefits of Live Online Learning
Aimed at offering you immediate, high-quality practical information whilst minimising time and expenditure associated with travelling, our digital training platform enables you to interact in real time with course directors and remotely network with your fellow participants.
- Classroom Experience: Progress with fellow participants as you would in an on-site class
- Guaranteed cost-effectiveness: Travel budget saving, plus 20% price advantage for online participation
- Controlled environment with speakers managing the Q&A and discussions and tools for enhanced interactions
- Module-based approach to effectively manage your time and revisions
- Earn your Digital Certification and broadcast your achievements to your peers
- Onboarding: Available for all attendees
- Proven and secure training platform
Upon completion of this training course, participants will earn a digital badge.
Attend and participate in the 2 full days of training course duration, led by the designated training expert
DIGITALISATION & DIGITAL INNOVATION IN SHIPPING
- How is digital innovation different?
- Developments in maritime
- Digital ecosystem in shipping
- Parties involved and impacted
- Investment trends
- The touchpoints – operations,
- logistics, onboard, terminals
- The role of VCs
- Technology transfer strategies and
- open innovations
MAPPING OUT A DIGITAL STRATEGY
- What is a digital strategy?
- Decision-making objectives in digital projects
- Digital strategy and “breakthrough innovation”
- The role of the Chief Digital Officer
- How to organize and implement digitization in shipping
- Developing the digital ecosystem
- Barriers to adoption
DIGITALISATION OF GLOBAL TRADE AND POTENTIAL FOR MARITIME INDUSTRY
- Cross industry collaboration
- Next steps in cargo documentation
- Blockchain applications in shipping
- Opportunities and challenges for block chain in shipping
- Examples: Tradelens, BLOCK, GSBN, etc
DATA, PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS, AND LATEST APPLICATIONS
- Standardisation and regulation (i.e. IHO, IEC standards)
- Cloud services for vessel (procurement, crewing, performance optimisation)
- Sustainable connectivity solutions and impacts on shipping
- Radar, GPS, sensors, satellites, LIDAR, etc
SMART LOGISTICS – DIGITALISATION IN CARGO SUPPLY CHAIN
- Port services and cargo redistribution
- End-to-end cargo tracking and monitoring
- Increase cargo capacity
- Remote cargo management
- Data interoperability standards
- Cargo owners, terminals, shippers and agents collaboration
- Examples: Intra (multi-carrier platform), Pronto (port of Rotterdam)
DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION AND SHIP MAINTENANCE
- Present issues with maintenance & repair budget management
- Data-driven condition monitoring
- Vessel performance indicators
- Predictive maintenance and downtime reduction
- Component lifetime extension
DIGITAL APPLICATIONS IN NAVIGATION AND SAFETY
- IMO MSC 101 (2024)
- Electronic navigational charts
- Electronic navigation tools
- Collision avoidance
- Connected ports & vessel traffic centres
- Voyage planning, vessel routing & execution
- AI-driven navigation
- Propulsion monitoring, Fuel efficiency and optimisation (e.g. SimBunker)
Examples: Twill, xChange, etc
Case study: Smart Ships and Smart Fleets – Using Ship-specific Data Collection and Large-scale Fleet Management Systems
CONNECTING SHIP AND SEAPORT OPERATIONS
- Real-time data
- Passage planning, vessel traffic optimisation
- Sea Traffic Management and PortCDM
- Port call coordination and synchronization
- Artificial intelligence in real-time port operations platforms (e.g. Awake.AI, Silo.AI)
- Berthing and mooring
SMART SHIPS, ENERGY AND EMISSION MANAGEMENT
- Fuel consumption and energy efficiency assessment
- Energy management systems
- Requirements for onboard facilities, sensors and onshore portals
- Regulatory compliance and automated reporting
CYBERSECURITY REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPPING
- Threats/attacks to IOT systems, navigational systems aboard vessels and onshore
- Global cyber security approaches
- Shipboard products and varying levels of cyber risks
- Cyber initiatives for retrofits and newbuilds
- Vessel cybersecurity verification, certifications
VALUE, FINANCIALS AND METRICS OF DIGITALISATION PROJECTS
- Value of digitalisation: efficiency, value and platforms/network effects
- Cost of digitalisation: CAPEX and OPEX considerations
- The business case, metrics and ROI
- Selling digitization internally & stakeholder management
THE FUTURE OF DIGITISATION: TRENDS AND NEW DEVELOPMENTS
- Emerging technologies and impacts: AI, Cloud, Drones, Additive Manufacturing
- Implications to your organisation
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.